Saturday, November 23, 2013

Shetland and Tacoma, Washington

The 16th 2014 Scottish Skeins and Skerries Tour is already one quarter full--don't miss the opportunity to travel with us next year. www.joycejamestours.com. 2014 is the year of Homecoming Scotland.

Hot off the press--or the internet equivalent!  When I opened my email this morning, there was the December 2013 version of 'Postcard from Shetland'. http://visit.shetland.org/december-2013-newsletter? There is too much to detail and read immediately in this (always) informative post. However, I intend to go back and read about the Christmas craft fair, the kayaking journey from Shetland to Norway and the Craft Trail, plus watch the video diary of Shetland Wool Week 2013.

I find that Shetland has changed in many ways since my first visit there in 1995. They are still the same kind, gentle people but there is now a confidence in their many abilities, and they don't seem to be as reserved about their pride this special place. As an example: when I first visited, they referred to their beautiful knitted creations as "just knittin". Now, they have published book about Shetland lace and for the past four years have offered 'Shetland Wool Week', which just goes from strength to strength.

Well-known Shetland knitter, Hazel Tindall has a website: http://www.hazeltindall.com/.

The Madrona Fiber Arts Festival, sponsor of the Winter Retreat opened for registration this week. http://madronafiberarts.com/ (13 - 16 Feb, 2014) Again, I managed to forget to register on the first day. I didn't intend to take any courses, although there is a full range offered, but wanted to stay at the main hotel, the Murano. I was fortunate to get a room at a nearby Holiday Inn Express, which is maybe just as well, as then I'll have to get out and walk a couple of blocks. I've attended this event several times and always enjoy it--especially the collegiality of knitters.

No comments: