Monday, September 16, 2013

News from all over

Shetland Heritage Publications are very proud of the latest title, due to be released in time for Shetland Wool Week and now available to pre-order. Shetland Textiles: 800 BC to the Present traces the history of textiles in Shetland through fabrics and garments together with the fibres and tools used to craft them, and the people who made and wore them. It brings together in-depth research with personal memories of local people, lavishly illustrated by stunning images.
Pre-order now, with 10% off at http://www.shetlandheritageshop.com/Shetland-Textiles-800BC-to-the-Present.html
 A new publication on the history of Shetland textiles is announced to mark the launch of Wool Week 2013. There is a pre-publication discount of 10%.

I also received the latest newsletter from Brooklyn Tweed, issue Fall 13. www.brooklyntweed.net There were a number of sweater patterns which I would love to knit--I really liked the simplicity, with interesting cable designs.

On Monday, 16 Sept. I went to the opening meeting of the Ottawa Knitting Guild for the 2013/2014 year. Their newsletter called the Tangled Skein is full of plans for the upcoming year and I'm always amazed at the talent in the guild. One doesn't always appreciate it until I see the examples during 'show and tell' and the contest entries. I merely follow instructions and admire people who greatly adapt patterns or even knit their own designs.

As I've mentioned before, I get a variety of newsletters. A recent travel newsletter announced that Ethiad Airways (which is in pool with Air Canada) has a new service called a 'Flying Nanny'. I don't know what it costs, but apparently an employee trained to look after young children, will assist parents during the flights. I would think this service would especially help a parent who is traveling with more than one child.

No comments: