Monday, July 5, 2010

A la carte.....

We are in the midst of a heat alert both in Ottawa and also farther afield--it sounds as though it's affecting a large portion of Ontario and Quebec. In fact, it was announced on CBC radio that the temperature here is higher than in Bangkok. Most people who know me are aware that I grew up in Alberta--I think they are tired of me and other prairie folk saying that our summers there offered a much more comfortable 'dry heat' (and a 'dry cold' in the winter!) Although saying that, from listening to the weather reports, Alberta and Saskatchewan have had little else this summer other than rain and cool weather.


Another recommendation for a British B & B is "The Hollies", http://www.theholliesbuilthwells.co.uk/. It's located in Builth Wells (in mid Wales) and is operated by Joy Stockton, who is also a local taxi driver. I first met Joy when I hired a taxi and was happy that she had a room for me at her B & B on my last night in Wales. My room was very comfortable, with a number of amenities. Conversation at breakfast the next morning was interesting, as the other guests were in the area specifically to attend Wonderwool Wales. You can imagine how much we talked about yarn, knitting, patterns, what did they buy, etc.

I can't close without announcing that today I've completed the last mitred square for the Piecework Blanket. Next I'll knit a border. I've received a request to knit a second blanket--think it will be awhile before I do that. I've enjoyed the project but have other patterns I want to try next. (Although it's surprising how much leftover yarn I have on hand. Where did it all come from?) I can't use the excuse that I don't have enough yarn.

No comments: