Saturday, April 6, 2013

'Knit Real Shetland'


I bought this book when I was on Shetland last October for Wool Week. Somehow it became buried in my pile/collection of knitting magazines, and I only read it yesterday. The introduction by Kate Davies is well worth reading for many reasons. I really enjoyed learning more about the history of Shetland knitting and the origins of Jamieson and Smith (known locally as the Wool Brokers.) Knitting has evolved from a financial necessity to an appreciation of the talents of Shetland knitters, and a justified pride in the knitters themselves. There are a number of patterns and backgrounds of the designers. 

For knitters in Canada and the U.S., the book is available from Marsha White at the Needlearts Bookshop. http://www.needleartsbookshop.com/, amongst many other selections. I see that Marsha also sells the book A Legacy of Shetland Lace, which will be available in May. (I know that this book was so popular that it is in a second printing.) You would save yourself expensive international shipping costs by ordering from Marsha.

http://needled.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/js_knitrealshetland_fcvr_large.jpg

No comments: