Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Shetland News

The tourism site of Visit Shetland has a monthly newsletter which I always find interesting. Among items, in the latest issue, there is news of a "puffin cam" to follow the nesting of the puffins which spend a brief time in the little niches on the face of Sumburgh Head. As I understand it, this is the only time that these colourful birds come ashore--that is to lay their eggs and to raise their young.
http://visit.shetland.org/may-2011newsletter

There is also information about the Shetland Angling Association, especially for those who are interested in doing some local fishing.

A previous posting of Visit Shetland had an article about the brochs. (Thanks Jean for sending this.)

Of course, for me, knitters are never forgotten and there is an article by Carol Christiansen, the textile curator at the Shetland Museum about Shetland lace.
http://visit.shetland.org/shetland-lace

1 comment:

Lise said...

Hi Joyce
I went to look at the puffin cam and realized it's nighttime over there, so there's not much to see :)

I spent yesterday afternoon with Diane. She showed me her scrapbooks from other trips to Shetland and gave me lots of pointers for my trip to Paris. She is a wealth of information. Now I am more excited than ever about both trips.

I was wondering - do you have any restaurant recommendations for Paris? any favourites? I was realizing that you will be in Wales at the same time that I am in Paris. I hope you have a great trip.

Lise