Friday, January 7, 2011

News from Shetland

Yesterday I received the most recent issue of the newsletter of the Shetland Guild of Spinners, Weavers and Dyers. As I've mentioned before, I always enjoy reading about their activities and getting caught up with what friends in the guild have been doing since the last issue.

One of the first things I noticed was a photo of the cover of the book, KNITS from the North Sea--lace in the Shetland tradition. What I found amusing was the comment by two members, Hazel and Zena, that they enjoyed browsing through the book, but were "vexed" by a mistake in the cover photograph. Trust a Shetlander to spot a lace error from a photo!

There was also a detailed article of the knitting conference held last September. It was called "In the Loop 2". I would have loved to have attended. The speakers and topics were numerous and dealt in depth with a large range of knitting topics. Carol Christiansen, of the Shetland Museum, was one of the two organizers. Something I learned was that the Shetland Museum has approximately 1200 textile items and close to two thirds are associated with knitting. (Those who are coming on the 2011 Scottish Skeins & Skerries Tour will have the opportunity to meet Carol and to see many items in their collection. ) "In the Loop 3" is scheduled for Southampton in 2012.

No comments: