Tuesday, December 7, 2010

This and that

Numbers update on the 2011 tours: there are four places left on the Welsh tour and more for the 'Scottish Skeins & Skerries' itinerary. The latter tour was planned to have room for potentially more travellers, although still not a large number. Neither tour will be offered after 2011--don't miss out. Please contact me if you have any questions or would like to register.

Last week I received the most recent newsletter from Treenway Silks on Salt Spring Island: http://www.treenwaysilks.com/. I was fortunate to visit there last month and am always amazed by the beautiful range of colours in the ribbons and yarns. Their newsletter is always interesting to read and visually attractive.

I've finished my first lace triangle scarf and it's waiting to be blocked. The patterns are included in Evelyn Clark's book, Knitting Lace Triangles. Initially, I followed the instructions in the narrative form but was sidelined by an error in that format. (As far as I can tell, it's in the Medallion Lace pattern, between rows 3 and 5.) Once I realized the problem, I switched to the chart and all has gone well.

Although, I ended up unravelling my first effort--tried to rationalize the wasted time--but am pleased I did, as I'm much happier with how this one looks. (Shirley, aka known as Shirl the Purl, thanks for the inspiration and technical help.) One small thing I learned was how to add beads using a crochet hook. I find the designs somewhat addictive and have been knitting when I should have been doing other things. I'm now started on a second triangle. I'm using another beautiful yarn from Fibre-Isle International, located in P.E.I., http://www:fibreisle.com. (Have a look at their website too.)

No comments: